Welcome To Cong


Cong (from the Irish Cunga Fheichin meaning “Saint Feichin’s narrows”) is a village on the border of County Galway and County Mayo.
  • Hotels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Self Catering

Information Cong Ireland

It is a very well maintained village on an island formed atop a set of streams on the isthmus that connects the lakes (or loughs) Corrib and Mask. It is located near towns and villages that include Ballinrobe, Neale and Cross. Cong is located on the R345. Cong is the location for the aptly named Cong Abbey. It is a monastery founded in 1128. The grey stone statuary includes carved leaves, flowers and tendrils atop the pillars with staring human heads between the leaves. Cong Abbey is believed to be the location of the death of the last High King of Ireland, Rory O’Connor. The Cross of Cong, now found at the National Museum in Dublin, is a metal cross shrine with certain Viking influences. Surprisingly, Roman Catholic records for Cong do not start until 1870. Records from the 1700s and 1800s were kept by the Protestant Church of Ireland and they are now stored at the South Mayo Family Research Centre in nearby Ballinrobe. The Cong Canal was built during the 1850s and it was deemed a failure, incapable as it was to hold water. It was supposed to link Lough Corrib to Lough Mask. Now used solely as a drainage channel, the three mile long “canal” has since been christened the “Dry Canal”. Ashford Castle can be found at Cong. Converted from a medieval lakeside castle, it is now a hotel that is regarded as world class. Much of the shooting of John Ford’s movie The Quiet Man was shot at the castle. The movie concerns an Irish American Pittsburgh native who returns to the homeland of his forebears to claim his inheritance of a farm at Inisfree. The film (released in 1952 and starring John Wayne) won Oscars for direction and cinematography and it has made Ashford Castle something of a tourist resort for movie buffs while being a beautiful site in its own right.

Attractions Cong Ireland

Ballintubber Abbey - Claremorris

This 13th century abbey is unique, not only is it the only church in Ireland still in use which was founded by an Irish King, but it is also the one Irish church where for over 781 years Mass has been offered without a break. Its story is graphically told in a video documentary on show at the abbey. Founded in 1216 by the last King of Connaught, Cathal Crovdearg O'Connor, for the Canons Regular of St. Augustine order, the Abbey had large tracts of land in the district until the dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VII. Retreats, pilgrimages and tours are available today. The Celtic Furrow Visitors Centre provides guided tours of the region, tracing 5,000 years of Irish culture.

Céide Fields - Ballina

Ballycastle - 8 miles from Ballins. Beneath the wild boglands of North Mayo lies Ceide Fields, the most extensive stone age monument in the world; field systems, dwelling areas and megalithic tombs of 5,000 years ago. In addition, the wild flora of the bog is of international importance and is bounded by some of the most spectacular rock formations and cliffs in Ireland. The Visitor Centre houses displays and exhibitions in English and Irish.

Croagh Patrick - Westport - Westport

The Pilgrimage mountain of Croagh Patrick is located close to Wesport town. In 441 AD St. Patrick reached the summit of Croagh Patrick and fasted for 40 day. St. Patrick is also noted for banishing the snakes from Ireland. A wonderful experience and challenge on a fine day. Spectacular view of County Mayo. For info on Guided Tours of Croagh Partick

Doon - Archaeological Nature Peninsula - Cong

A designated Area of Scienific Interest, Accredited a National Heritage Area. Doon Promontory Fort, on Lough Carra, with sites from Late Bronze Age, enclosed in a spectacular landscape of mountain, lake and woodland, is one of the largest identified site of its type in Ireland. A self-guided Tour along a woodland trail from our earliest ancestors, through Bronze Age (2,000 B.C.), Iron Age (300 B.C.), Early Christian and Norman Times. A town noted for the filming of the Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Many connections with the Quiet Man are on show. Also the location of Ashford Castle, a high quality hotel with private golf course.

Kiltimagh Museum - Kiltimagh

In the 1980s the Historical Society acquired the old Goods Store of Kiltimagh Railway Station and turned it into a Museum. Two old Railway Carriages were acquired to commemorate the thousands of our people who had had to emigrate, and these were incorporated into the Museum. Now the Museum houses many artifacts from our past, such as the Land League Banner, buried for safety in a bog for forty years, the instruments of the 19th century town band, items from Kiltimagh Lace School, Railway artifacts and many other items reflecting different aspects of our past.