Welcome To Adare

Adare is regarded as a gem in Limerick: Its thatched cottages are from a time warp, and its aesthetically pleasing lay out is thanks to the town planning skills of the Earl of Dunraven, who built it in the nineteenth century as part of his estate. The earl’s tastes means that it looks more like an English village than an Irish one.
  • Hotels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Self Catering

Information Adare Ireland

There is a local tourist office (closed in the month of January) where you will find details on Adare Manor – the earl’s nineteenth century home – and other matters of historical import. The town was for centuries a crossing point on the River Maigue but the ancient town was moved half a mile and to the other side of the river bank. It had three monasteries in the Middle Ages, as well as a castle. It is not known for sure who originally built Desmond Castle, but it is believed that after the O’Donovan clan, it came into the possession of the FitzGeralds of Kildare (who have a long association with Adare). While renovations are taking place, guided tours of the castle are now offered during tourist season. The Franciscan friary was founded in 1464 by Thomas Fitz-Maurice (Earl of Kildare). Its ruins can be seen at Adare Manor Golf Club. The Augustinian Priory was founded by a previous earl of Kildare in 1316. During Henry VIII’s reformation, the priory was suppressed and in 1807 the priory church began use as the local Church of Ireland parish church. The priory underwent a further process of restoration during the course of the nineteenth century, with the refectory being roofed to be used as a schoolhouse and the church restored again in the 1850s. The Trinitarian order isn’t one familiar to Irish ears – little wonder, given that they established their only Irish monastery in 1230 in Adare. The earliest of the three, the abbey was restored in 1811 to become the Catholic church for the parish.

Attractions Adare Ireland

Banqueting Hall (Desmond Hall) - Newcastlewest

West Limerick preserves many of Ireland's surviving spacious medieval halls. The desmond banqueting hall is an imposing two-storey structure and was used by the Earls of Desmond for banqueting and entertainment. The Hall, vaulted lower chamber and adjoining tower were all constructed during the 15th century (the hall and chamber were built on the remains of a 13th century structure of similar size).

Croom Mills and Heritage Centre - Limerick

This uniquely restored nineteenth century granary shows working conditions for millers and blacksmiths in dramatic settings. It is complimented by an audio-visual film on the history of grain milling locally. The mill race flows gently beneath the superb restaurant and craft shop

Curraghmore Forest Park - Kilcornan

Located at Kilcornan, Curraghchase Forest Park is a six hundred acre plantation of exceptional beauty. It features walkways, a lake and garden, a nature trail and the ruins of the eighteenth century home of the poet Aubrey de Vere.

Foynes Museum - Limerick

The Foynes museum recalls the era with a comprehensive range of exhibits and graphic illustrations. It also includes a 1940s style cinema, the original terminal building through which many VIPs passed, war years' radio and the weather room. Irish coffee was "invented" here in 1943. During the 1930s and early 1940s, the port of Foynes was the fulcrum point for air traffic between the United States and Europe. The famous flying boats were frequent visitors, carrying passengers who ranged from celebrities to refugees.

Lough Gur Stone Age Centre - Ballyneety

Located at Ballyneety, the Lough Gur Centre is the most important Stone Age site in Ireland. The visitor centre, on its lakeside site, contains a display and audio-visual show presenting the site's history. The archaeology of the area provides evidence of the activities of the first farmers in the region, their dwellings, ritual and burial sites, as well as their tools and implements. The story stretches over 5,000 years and continues to the present day.